Friday, November 21, 2008

Just in case you missed this article

This article is what landed me the opportunity to help write the new American Girl book "Dance!" - thought I'd share it with you in case you missed it.



Use the power of positive psychology to differentiate your school.
Written by: DeAnne Boegli, owner BHF Dance Academy and Releve’ LLC. Published in Dance Studio Life Magazine, August 2007


Recently, positive psychology stories have been hitting the news and bookshelves. Positive psychology experts recommend thinking positive thoughts to get a positive outcome. Some take this to the extreme saying they can imagine a parking spot and get it. But in general, this is not a new concept. Motivational speakers have been pitching the power of positive thinking to their audiences for years, so why now is it getting mainstream attention?


Positive attitudes can make a difference between struggling with a challenge and tackling it head on. If we are not confident we can not make good things happen. Adapting to change takes confidence and we live in a world of change. So today more than ever we need to think positive.


How does this impact dance teachers?


We’ve been teaching self-confidence for years. We tackle the world’s greatest fear -- public performance or public speaking every year, recital after recital. As a dance teacher, I’ve always prided myself in preparing young students for their first stage performance. That first exposure is critical to long term success. Training students to feel the adrenaline rush rather than the fear is what is so important. What a huge gift we give to our students -- freedom from fear. And the ability to use that “rush” to perform to the best of their abilities. After a positive stage experience self-confidence starts to grow and they can’t wait to get back up there.


In college I majored in psychology and journalism at the University of Wisconsin. My goal was to become a public relations professional. I’ve accomplished my goals. I’m still active in the profession and enjoy it daily. But along the way I found a need to listen to my creative voice, so I started a dance school in our small town in Brodhead, Wis. I wanted my daughters to have all of the gifts dancing provided to me. (thank you Ms. Ginger) And a school was born.


At my school we are all about teaching self-confidence. It’s my single goal. Our tag line is “Life is a Stage. Start Dancing™.” And I mean this. I want to raise confident young students with great attitudes. Sure, if we grow some amazing dancers along the way I’ll consider it a great success, but it won’t be my crowning achievement. Seeing a successful person with exceptional confidence in everyday life will be my reward.


Each class we put a twist on the Reverence tradition. We state our Reverence verbally. And through the years the kids have added their own choreography to it from time to time. We say at the end of each class… “I’m Smart. I’m Strong and I Love to Dance!™.” For five years my students have been repeating this and they believe it. (And so do their parents.) Go ahead; say it to yourself out loud.


“I’m Smart. I’m Strong and I Love to Dance.” Doesn’t that make you feel good? That is positive psychology in the works. Repetitive self-affirmation is good for your soul.


At first, I had young girls who couldn't say it because they didn’t believe it. I would have them stand in front of the mirror and tell themselves “I’m Smart. I’m Strong and I Love to Dance.” Some couldn't look themselves in the eye. It was a sad moment for me, but it made me even more dedicated to this activity with the students. If no one else in their life was going to tell them they were smart and strong then I certainly wanted to teach them how to tell it to themselves.


I had a good laugh when the senior class took some artistic license to our statement. They chanted “I’m hot, I’m tired and I want to go home” with a few giggles. I had to admire their creativity, I was tired too.
Before each recital back stage while the kids are anxiously waiting, I shout “I’m going out now to open the curtain for you… let me here it!” Then young voices say in unison “I’m Smart. I’m Strong and I Love to Dance!” I get goose bumps each time. It calms the dancers down. It equalizes them. From the youngest to the oldest they all say it together. They are a team, even though some of them have never met. They are in control of their emotions. They are building self-awareness.

I had some staff that doubted this technique until they saw it in action backstage. They are believers today. And we even say it at the end of the grand finale’ of the final performance as a way to say goodbye until the next season starts.


I encourage you to find your own statement.
Say what comes naturally and fits with your teaching style. I’m confident you will find success. As it becomes part of your brand it will help you differentiate your school from competitors programs. One hint: don’t change the statement often. It’s something that you need to drill over time. Something that when they are 40 they will still remember….I’m Smart. I’m Strong and I Love to Dance!


It’s fun. Try it.

No comments:

Releve' Dance Poster sample

Releve' Dance Poster sample
sample of poster