Monday, October 27, 2008

Needs v.s. Wants in Today's Dance Economy

For parents determining Needs vs. Wants regarding Dance Class can be a challenge. As teachers our goal in these times must be to prove that Dance Class is a NEED, not just a want. And not just a need for students-- a need for parents too.

Every parent wants the best for their child. I was talking to one of my first year parents recently before classes started and I asked her "did you take dance when you were a little girl?" her response was... "No, but I always wanted too. So, when I found out I was having a girl I was so excited. I knew right away I was going to get her into dance class."

That's a powerful NEED. To be a good parent. To provide what you didn't get when you were little. To make sure your child has the best you can give her.

I congratulated my parent for giving her child this opportunity and thanked her for selecting our school. It was a unique moment for both of us and I was motivated to make sure class lived up to all our expectations.

It's a great question for any teacher to ask your parents... did you take dance when you were a little girl?

No comments:

Releve' Dance Poster sample

Releve' Dance Poster sample
sample of poster