Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Do you warm up for your day?

In the dance studio, the warm up is the first thing you do before you take a class. Same should be true at home.

Is your morning routine working for you or just a survival tactic? Consider this, for a working Mom the most hectic part of the day can before you even get to the office. You’ve gotten up early to get yourself ready, packed the lunches or diaper bags and then you still need to feed and dress your children and get them in the car seats, drive to a daycare provider or school, and THEN you finally get to go to work.

I can remember this crazy schedule when my own daughters were little; then I topped it off with a 50 minute commute. Ironically, the commute is what often saved me. It gave me time to think, to regroup. I could drop the ‘Mom job’ and put on my work face for the rest of the day. It worked in reverse on the way home, from work back to being Mom in 50 minutes (or less) depending on what was waiting for me at home.

I felt like one of those blankets that convert to a cute cuddly animal.

As it turns out, the 50 minute commute was critical to my success. How many of you can honestly say you spend an hour or two each day planning and thinking? I could plan and be purposeful each day without running around in a needless hustle. If you don’t enjoy a long commute like me, you can still start your day with some extra time. Wake up 20 min. early – give yourself some space and time to live within. A little warm up, even if it means just sitting quietly on the couch thinking about one topic before the rest of the house wakes up, will help you focus and be more productive.

Every dancer knows the importance of a good stretch. All of us, dancers and non-dancers alike, can take care of our body before we even get out of bed in the morning.

Here’s a great way to wake up:

1. Pull your knees to your chest while laying on your back.
2. Circle your feet in both directions. Do some push and pulls with your feet.
3. Now it’s time to get up, put your feet over the side of the bed and when your feet hit the floor say “Good morning” or “Thank you” or whatever mantra you chose.
4. When you brush your teeth you can easily do ten Plie’s and even throw in a few Releve’s while you are at it.
5. Next, stand tall, reach for the sky, take a deep breath and then reach for your toes. And hold it. Repeat as necessary to feel great.
6. Shake it out and smile.

Now you are warmed-up for the day.

3 comments:

Cait said...

What a valid point. I often do my best thinking/planning in the shower, which I'm now realizing is the only time that I'm not "doing" in the morning.

I used to have a long commute as well, but now I work 10 minutes from home. As much as I love being so close, I actually miss that commute.

Cait
The Dance Buzz

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warm up! This will be really helpful for all those dancers who have to comute to practice their art :)

Rachel Franco
http://lessonplansfordance.com/

Releve' Dance Poster sample

Releve' Dance Poster sample
sample of poster