Thursday, January 8, 2009

What's in a name? Taking Attendance a new way

After reading the most recent issue of Dance Studio Life from Rhee Gold I was inspired to find a more fun and interesting way to take attendance. We've always sat in circle in the youngest classes and I've called their names off. Mostly I do it so I can remember thier names... little do they know. But the article I read talked about how taking attendance is important so the dancer learns responsibility to come to class etc. and it encouraged teachers to make a big deal about taking attendance.

So, I began thinking on my drive to the studio, "What could I do to make it more fun?" When I arrived I pulled out a 99 cent princess wand out of my trusty, secret closet and wall-a instant fun... well almost. I decided to have the kids pass the wand around the circle and they could say "My name is ...." and it was fun! Not only did it get each childs voice heard during the class it gave them an additional public speaking opportunity! It really brought out thier personalities too, which in just a few short seconds is enlightening. Some look egar and take it really seriously, some say thier name in one big motion as they try to get rid of wand and limelight as quickly as possible. And I had 2 girls that night who gladly grabbed that wand and then FROZE! They couldn't say thier own name. Now, for me that's great to know. I will focus on getting those girls comfortable saying thier name in a few weeks. I'm always up for a challenge.

In tap class they stated thier name and gave me three shuffles. I guess we could add ballet turns or curtsies to ballet class. The options are endless.

If you have ideas that have worked for you please share them with us.

No comments:

Releve' Dance Poster sample

Releve' Dance Poster sample
sample of poster