Tuesday, April 6, 2010

School Referendums - Is it your business?

Today is Tuesday April 6. Voting day for many local school districts across the nation. My community in Brodhead, Wis. is voting for the second time on a school referendum. The first vote in Feb. failed by 200 votes; the school district quickly put a second referendum on the ballot for April. Now, here's why I'm writing about this on Dance Teacher Talk Spot...

I organized a political action committee to PASS the referendum, even when the community is divided 50/50 on the issue. I'm a parent of two kids directly impacted by this vote and a small business owner of a child-based business; I felt I needed step up and be a leader in my community for the kids.

From a business perspective, I need strong schools my business to thrive-- bad schools equal no clients for a dance school... but I was one of the only businesses in town brave enough to state my position and get involved. Even our Chamber of Commerce and Mayor didn't have a voice because they were afraid to offend and lose business from customers on the opposite side.

So, did I make a mistake? Time will tell, but even if the vote doesn't go our way today I will know that I did all I could to help the children in this community thrive. It's what I do - put kids first.

If parents in my program were "no voters" (and I know there were some) and decide not to support my business next year then I guess that is a price I am willing to pay.

Now, I was careful not to promote the vote inside my business or use my location as a propaganda area, but I was not afraid to let people know I was an organizing member of the PAC and did a lot of highly visible campaigning. It's a small town, so people know me and my business affiliation. I've often heard the term, "it's not personal, it's business" referred to when tough business decisions are made; for me it was the opposite, "it's personal, not business" - sort of.

I'm sad that other business owners were not willing to step up and fight for a stronger school and to protect our local community. After all, if the school fails so will the community ultimately. So, what would you do in this position? Hide in the wings or share your school pride?

No comments:

Releve' Dance Poster sample

Releve' Dance Poster sample
sample of poster